House fire

One person is dead after a morning house fire in the 700 block of Happy Valley Road, Roseburg.

One woman is dead after a morning fire in Green, according to a press release from Douglas County Fire District No. 2.

Georgia Fullerton, 66, was found deceased in her home at 799 Happy Valley Road. 

Her husband, Jerry, and a pet were able to escape the engulfed home with the help of a neighbor. 

Firefighters responded to the fire just after 6 a.m. When they arrived on scene, heavy black smoke was coming from the back of the house.

First responders were told that one occupant was still inside, so they immediately began searching the home, according to Fire Marshal Ray Shoufler.

Shoufler said firefighters noticed the fire was concentrated to the back of the home and were able to extinguish the flames with a minimal amount of water.

An investigation by the fire district and Oregon State Police concluded that the fire was caused by a cigarette that was being smoked in bed.

Ian Campbell can be reached at or 541-957-4209. Or follow him on Twitter @MrCampbell17.

React to this story:


Managing Editor

Ian Campbell is the managing editor for The News-Review, a former senior editor at the Emerald Media Group and a camping fanatic. Follow him on Twitter @MrCampbell17

Crime and Natural Resources Reporter

Saphara Harrell is the crime and natural resources reporter for The News-Review. She previously worked at The World in Coos Bay. Follow her on Twitter @daisysaphara.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.