One woman is dead after a morning fire in Green, according to a press release from Douglas County Fire District No. 2.
Georgia Fullerton, 66, was found deceased in her home at 799 Happy Valley Road.
Her husband, Jerry, and a pet were able to escape the engulfed home with the help of a neighbor.
Firefighters responded to the fire just after 6 a.m. When they arrived on scene, heavy black smoke was coming from the back of the house.
First responders were told that one occupant was still inside, so they immediately began searching the home, according to Fire Marshal Ray Shoufler.
Shoufler said firefighters noticed the fire was concentrated to the back of the home and were able to extinguish the flames with a minimal amount of water.
An investigation by the fire district and Oregon State Police concluded that the fire was caused by a cigarette that was being smoked in bed.